Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Other January Project

As usual, I had a "Big Stitch" hand quilting project that I was working on. If you know me you know that I like to spend at least some part of each day quilting (not that I always get to). It's my stress reliever. Here are a few pictures to show you what I was doing. Half of the quilt is blue blocks the other half  are brown.



The quilt started out because I came across 22 - 6 inch squares from a collection called Lasting Beauty by Classic Cottons. Now I don't make wallhangings any more because I have no wall space left. I don't make large (king/queen) quilts anymore because I don't need anymore bed quilts. What I like to make are nap/twin size quilts. What I call useful quilts. So the challenge was to make that size quilt out of the 22 blocks. First I added to the squares to bring them up to 11 inches, then I added sashing. The quilt center is 4 blocks wide and 5 blocks long. Two of the 6" blocks got tossed.

Next challenge was to figure out how to make it longer. Well, that was simple, just add some 9 patch blocks and a couple of borders. Next is a picture of the border after quilting.


I accomplished my goal. The finished quilt is 61" x 86". (If I had just sewn the blocks together it would have been 22" x 27-1/5". I must say I am pretty proud of myself on this one.

Now I need to bind it but I haven't been in the mood so we will see when that gets accomplished. After the binding is on I will post a picture of the finished quilt.

Enjoy your day! Jo

2 comments:

  1. This has an Amish feel even with the light fabrics. I like it! I understand running out of wall space, but we all need more bed quilts, though the nap ones are good, too! Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete