Saturday, December 10, 2011

Shhh! It's a Christmas present so no telling!

This summer I had a friend in the shop wanting Fossil Fern flannel from Benartex. She wanted it for backing fabrics and since she was taking over half the bolt I special ordered for her. Add to that, the fact that I have a grandson going to a college that has red and gold for their school colors, my mind went to work on what I could make that would be easy and fast.

Then, there is that box of denim that has been in the basement for what seems like forever and was I ever going to use it for something? Seems to me I had the necessary ingredients for that easy and fast quilt I wanted to make.

45" x 81"

This quilt is intended to be put in the trunk of his car and can be used for eating McDonald's in the park or sitting on to watch a band concert on the lawn. It's nothing special, just two pieces of fabric, one flannel 10" square and one denim 9" square sewn together. Then sew the blocks together using only the flannel pieces, press the seam open and sew down. I used the serpentine stick on my sewing machine. I made the 5 long rows first. Then sewed the rows together, pressing and stitching the flannel down as I went.

As I stated earlier, I wanted an easy and fast project. No spending hours here with scissors in hand trying to cut all those seam allowances for a rag quilt. I have better ways to spend my time.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! One of our grandsons received a similar quilt made from denim and red prints a couple of years ago. He was 10 at the time, so no worries about how it's treated. I did, however, do the clipping, but I used a friend's special clippers for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the right scissors and a husband willing to clean up my mess the clipping is easy:) I'll put a picture of the rag snowman quilt on my blog after Christmas. I like the way your non rag quilt turned out -- something different. The framing is atrractive.

    ReplyDelete