Saturday, November 6, 2010

Shade Cascade quilt


I decided to show you my current quilting project.

Shade Cascade was a collection from Blank Quiting. I loved it and sold a bunch in the shop. It consisted of four shades of a one color on each bolt. Finally, Blank Quilting told me they were out of the fabric and would not be reprinting it any more. With only a few bolts left, I decided to see what I could come up with using the end of brown bolt. I ended up with a rail fence block. I used the lightest and darkest shades for the outside rails. I used the light-medium shade for the centers of half the blocks and the dark-medium for the other half of the blocks. Then, when I laid them out all the horizontal blocks had the lighter fabric centers and the vertical blocks had the darker fabric centers. What I like best is the larger area in the center of the block for some nice quilting.


A closer look.
Please note: The blue that is showing is the blue water soluable pen I used for marking. It will soon be washed out.
And, of course, I hand quilted it using the "Big Stitch" and Presencia's Size 12 Perle Cotton.


Since I did not have enough of the fabric to make the quilt as long as I wanted. I added a 2nd & 3rd border to the top and bottom. (The white is batting since I have not finished the quilting yet.)



No comments:

Post a Comment